WCE Judge Certification
World Coffee Events (WCE) invites members of the specialty coffee community to participate in the newly expanded WCE Judge Certification. Participants in the WCE Judge Certification will have an unprecedented opportunity to qualify as a judge for all World Competitions.
Participants will demonstrate skill and knowledge during a two-day test. WCE Committee Leadership will guide participants through a series of performance-based and written tests that measure a judge’s ability to perform successfully in a WCE Competition.
Qualified participants who pass all written and practical tests in any World Championship assessment will be authorized to judge in that World Championship. The two-day test will offer opportunities to certify for the World Barista Championship, World Latte Art Championship, World Brewers Cup, World Coffee in Good Spirits Championship, World Roasters Championship, and the Cezve/Ibrik Championship. A participant may certify for any or all of these championships over the course of the certification. Participants may only certify for technical or sensory judging, and cannot test for both at a single Judge Certification.
Once achieved, WCE Judge Certification is valid for three (3) years. For certifications starting in 2015 and later, a certified judge may renew his/her certification for an additional three (3) years by passing calibration and judging in a World Championship in the final year of his/her original certification. A judge may only renew his/her certification one time without re-testing.
To attend a WCE Judge Certification, participants must meet the following prerequisites:
- Possess judging experience in one (1) world championship (World Latte Art Championship, World Coffee in Good Spirits, World Brewers Cup, World Barista Championship OR Two (2) years of judging experience at a national-level competition for Latte Art, Coffee in Good Spirits, Brewers Cup, or Barista Championships OR One (1) year of judging experience at a national-level WCE sanctioned competition AND one (1) fully completed World Competitions Education Program for the specific competition. Judging experience must be within the last 5 years to maintain eligibility. Additionally, participants are only eligible to certify for competitions in which they have experience judging.
- Agree to abide by the WCE Judges Code of Conduct.
- Pay all certification fees.
- Pricing is set by the host of each event individual, and can vary.
Upcoming Dates and Locations for Judge Certifications
- Kortrijk, Belgium — Viva Sara
May 24-25, 2018
- Durban, South Africa — Ciro Academy
July 27, 2018 (WBC)
Cancellation and Refund Policy
WCE reserves the right to cancel a Judge Certification at any time. In the event of a WCE cancellation, registrants will be offered an opportunity to transfer registration to another planned workshop. Requests for refunds due to WCE cancellation of a workshop may be sent to [email protected].
Apply for a Judge Certification
Once you have chosen a Judge Certification date, please fill out the Previous Judging Experience Document below and submit it along with the Judges Application Form. These documents will be used to determine your eligibility for Judge Certification. If there is availability on your chosen date, a member of staff will follow up with a link for you to complete payment. After this step is completed, you will be officially registered for WCE Judge Certification.